Thursday, January 20, 2005

Note to self...

So you know what's funny? The blogger website here is totally in Italian. I don't know how it knows that I'm in italy, cause the URL is the same as the american one (you know I don't understand how these crazy computer things work) but it knows and the whole site is in Italian. So anyways, last night a bunch of us went to a bar here called Gasoline (it's an "American bar," meaning they play old American music and have NBA stuff up on the wall) which I'm guessing is the only thing to do here on a Wednesday night. Small town and all. But we had fun, I met some Italian guys who were friendly (not surprising) and chatted with some italians I had met before. Anyways, I left at some point to go outside to talk on the phone, and it was a really crappy connection so I wandered around a bit until I found a good place, and then I didn't move at all for fear of losing it. So I'm standing on this street, and this guy slows down in his car, and kinda pulls over. I turned my back to him and walked away, and then he drove away, but then made a circle and came back and did it again! He thought I was a hooker. And over the next like 10-15 minutes, like six more cars did it! They were trying to wave me into their cars and stuff. I kept moving away or trying to wave them off (one guy actually waved back at me), but they all thought I was a prostitute. And for the record, I was completely not dressed hooker-like. It's cold here, after all. So after I got on the phone, I asked some people who have been here since September, and they said, oh yeah, this is where the guys go to pick up prostitutes, they always try to pick up whatever girls are out there (even if they're just on the phone and not actually hookers!). So yeah, note to self, don't stand on Via Tommaso Gare at night. (Don't worry mom, none of them tried to grab me or anything, I was fine.) First time I've ever been mistaken for a hooker, as far as I know. And something similar happened to another friend last night when she was walking home. For shame.

First real test tommorrow in my italian class, so we'll see how that goes. Yesterday she spent 20 minutes going over when to use formal and when to use informal...I wanted to poke my eyes out. She's very nice, but Lord, does she focus on some stupid things. I've also started reading my book for my oral report, and I'm happy, it's actually enjoyable so far! So we'll see how that goes. Problem is I just feel like I read so slowly in Italian...I can't just skim like I can in english and still pick up the words...I have to go one by one, it's so darn slow. Oh, tomorrow I'm going to bring my laptop to the mysterious room across the hall and see if I can hook it up, so if it actually works, I'll have pictures! Mostly of snow-covered ness =)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tried to post comment yesterday but was unable to do so. Was so happy to hear your voice and the delight it held regarding the snowfall. Thanks Matt for the picture of the gorgeous church. It must be just awesome all covered with snow.
So, the bar was fun, huh? When do they open and close? Good luck on the test! You will do wonderfully!.

(Notice, I make no comments regarding the Italian looky-loos you dealt with during your phone call. I am so restrained:)! ) Love you lots,Mom

John said...

Poor Reva, mistaken for a prostitute! Good luck on your test, I'm sure you will do fine. We'll miss you at Theta Chi on Friday...

Anonymous said...

WOW! I don't know what else to say to that. I have some pictures for you but I need to get the cable from Rosanna before I upload it, so it'll be sent to you shortly. Have lots of fun!

Tram

Reva said...

Aww, I'm going to miss a theta chi party? So sad...have fun for me then =)

Anonymous said...

No Theta Chi...damnit...this makes me SO upset