Saturday, June 14, 2008

Psychic thieves?

I woke up this morning to an email from my bank saying that there had been some irregular activity on an account of mine and I needed to verify that it wasn't fraud. I went to the website to enter in the account number of the card they said the activity was on...and I realized that I didn't even know the card number because it's an account that they created for me automatically for some reason, but I've literally never used. The credit card for that account has never even gone into my wallet, it's just been sitting in a desk drawer for years. So, that was a bad sign. I had to call my bank since I didn't know the account number and it turns out that over the last three days, someone had charged over $4000 to this account! Luckily it's not a big problem since I don't even use that account, cancelling it won't affect me, and they didn't hassle me at all about taking off the charges. But I mostly just have no idea how they even got this account number since *I* don't even know it.

No comments: