Wednesday, October 08, 2008

A year ago, it would have been the weekend already

Apparently it's not just my awful singing that sets off Jamie's new no-barking collar. A Hummer driving by while we were out for a walk (granted, it was very close because it was coming out of the parking lot and we were right next to the exit) set it off too. Poor Jamie was so freaked out by it, and I'm hoping it doesn't make him confused like, wait, I bark and it goes off, but then I don't bark and it STILL goes off! Because then how is he supposed to know.

Work is getting better...I think just being mostly done with orientation and starting to settle into a routine is helping. I mean, it's already Wednesday and I didn't even realize it! (Well I knew, but I had to think about it a minute.) I think it'll still take a few months to really get used to it, and by then my hours will count so that'll be a whole new kind of stress, but I don't think I'm just going to flip out one day and start running down the halls screaming, so that's good.

I decided I was so mad at myself for not remembering very much of my Russian that I've pulled out my textbooks from undergrad, and my notes (since I'm super organized and still have them) and am going to reteach myself. The good thing is that even just going through vocabulary (I'm still on the very first chapters) I'm remembering more than I thought. The bad news is I haven't even gotten to grammar yet, and there are literally like a dozen different verbs that mean "to go" (each one has a different nuance, it's maddening), so I think it's still going to take a while. I had nothing to do for a month after a bar, and so I did nothing; now that I'm working, I'm getting all ambitious. Funny how that works out.

No comments: