Sunday, November 02, 2008

Book review

I mentioned earlier that I bought a biography of Jefferson that I was kind of skeptical about because it was so short. Well, I'm sorry to tell you all that my fears were well-founded--while the book was generally enjoyable, it was far too simple a take on his life. It just glossed over so much, like the years he spent in France, that I felt that I really was missing out on a lot of information. Also, the author kept using the word "vex," and I personally am a fan of the word, but he used it twice on the same page. Come on, that's kind of weird. Anyway, I think if I was a high school teacher I'd assign this book to read, but if you know anything about him, it just felt way too shallow to really do him justice, especially after reading such detailed books about Hamilton and Jefferson as I did recently.

No comments: