Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My good luck

Ok, a week plus late, but here is the story I've been meaning to tell for a while.  Last Tuesday I was going to a deposition for my pro bono client (my first depo!), which was in Nowheresville*, MD.  I was driving myself and so of course I had my directions, and they told me to get on the 395N (yes, "the" 395N) and stay on it until I hit the SW freeway, and then take that into MD.  So I took the 395 and I kept looking for signs for the SW freeway, but I didn't see anything, so I stayed and stayed until finally the freeway ended and I was on NY Avenue heading north-east instead of south-east of DC.  My maps were not the best thing ever, but I finally figured out that if I hit Pennsylvania Ave SE I'd be going in the right direction...but there's no direct route between NY Ave and PA Ave.  So I meandered my way down, going past Union Station and all these random places, time passing by, until I *finally* got to stupid Pennsylvania, about a half hour later than I should have been.  At this point I finally figure out I'm on the right track, and I was emailing the people I was meeting to tell them I was on my way but running late (which I knew I would be, so I left early to try to combat this, but apparently not early enough).  Oh, and the reason why I never found the SW freeway is that it's ALSO called the 295.  And while google maps says the SW freeway, the actual signs only say 295.  So, screw all of you. 
 
So anyway I'm driving SE finally in the right direction, and I'm stopped at a stoplight (because on the road to Nowheresville, MD, freeways have stoplights) and listening to the radio (which I never do anymore because I mostly just listen in the car, and I rarely drive) and the station I'm on is talking about the Brad Paisley concert that's coming up here in July, for which tickets were going on sale last Friday.  Brad Paisley is like my favorite guy ever and I've been trying to see him in concert for literally years, but he's always in town right when I'm not, somehow.  I'd been planning on going to the concert here in July for months, just been waiting for the tickets to go on sale, but as I'm sitting at the light the radio dj says that he's got a trivia question for us, and if we get it right, we get tickets to the concert before we can buy them!  Oh yes, you see where I'm going with this.
 
He gives out the trivia question (what song did Brad win the 2009 grammy for best country instrumental for?), and I had no idea what the answer was, but I typed the number for the station into my phone (just didn't dial), then picked up my blackberry and said a quick prayer to the Verizon gods, and googled for the answer.  And what do you know but the first hit gave me the answer!  So I called in and managed to get through and tell him the answer (in case you're curious, it's "Cluster Pluck"), and boom, I have tickets.  So hooray for being late to the depo because I probably still wouldn't have been in the car otherwise!  And now I'm going to the Brad Paisley concert and I'm ridiculously excited.  It's gonna be legen-wait for it-dary.  I counted and this is actually the fifth concert I've gotten tickets for free from a radio station, four of the five coming from call-in contests.  I guess I've got a bit of a talent for it, but it's been a while since I've won anything, so it's good to see my muscles haven't atrophied *too* much. 
 
 
 
*I had a ruder name for it before but I'm trying to be polite in this public forum. 

No comments: