Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Deep Thoughts

Look at me, posting right away! I'm trying to do it while everything is fresh in my mind. Not that my thoughts are so terribly deep, but you know, I do what I can. Oh, and maybe spoilers below, so watch out!

Parks and Recreation
EW said that this episode was funnier than all of the previous episodes, and I think they were right. One of my biggest problems is that the supporting cast is usually a lot more interesting than either Amy Poehler or Rashida Jones, and while tonight definitely suffered from a lack of supporting cast screen time, Leslie Knope was a lot better I think. And of course, penguins = adorable (the car seat thing cracked me up). Rashida Jones is ridiculously underused though, but maybe her dating Mark will help make her more interesting and give her better stories than, oh hey, I just randomly show up for two minutes at a time to look skeptical around Leslie. Overall, I say improvement over last mini-season, but it's still not really something I look forward to specifically. But I'll keep watching, see how it goes.

The Office
I just rewatched seasons 2 and 4, and am starting 5 now, so I've had a lot of The Office lately. Tonight's episode was ok, but I didn't see a whole lot of shining moments of hilarity. Yay for confirmation about Jam's baby, although if she's supposed to be four months along they better start strapping on the fake baby bump, but other than that there was nothing that blew me away tonight. I don't know, the whole fake rumor thing didn't really do it for me. Funny but not as funny as I'd hoped.

Community
So this was a series premiere, and those are always so hard to do. You have to set up the whole premise, introduce a bunch of characters, all before really *knowing* the characters (not to sound too serious about it all). So, I think it's always a little tough to do a good series premiere. That said, I think this one was pretty decent. Joel McHale was, as expected, hilarious, with great delivery of snarky comments. Supporting cast seems good so far, and the little background song (which Yahoo answers tells me is "Good Ol' Fashion Nightmare" by Matt & Kim) is kind of hypnotic, so my high hopes are not dashed yet. I kind of love that he's an ex-lawyer, if only for the fact that the way he practiced law seems only to have involved a lot of fast talking and no sort of actual legal work. (Maybe it works that way in some places? That'd be nice.) I look forward to seeing what they're going to do in non-"introduce the whole show" episodes... ie every subsequent episode.

No comments: